Sunday, March 21, 2010

NBA: Kings v Clippers

I think this is my first NBA game this year.  Figured this would be a good time to see Tyreke Evans and these new look Kings.  Then Tyreke goes out on Friday night and gets a concussion and other assorted facial injuries that keeps him out of this game.  Great.

I decided to go anyway.  Of course with LA Marathon traffic or maybe just LA traffic, we don't get there until 8 minutes left in the 2nd quarter and the Kings are already up by 10.  The game is already over.

Carl Landry and Beno Udrih were the most impressive as they seemingly scored at will.  Beno had 17 assists.  Unfortunately, Spencer Hawes, Omri Casspi and Jason Thompson all didn't play that well or that much so I didn't really get a good feel for the young talent on our squad.

I did get pretty good feel for the Clippers squad though.  They didn't care about winning.  Or even trying.  A team with Baron Davis, Chris Kaman and Drew Gooden at home shouldn't be trailing a Kings squad without their best player by 10 points the entire game.  This organization is just garbage.  And it starts at the top.  An owner not committed to winning won't win.  They really are the exact opposite of the Lakers who have reached the NBA Finals 15 of the 30 seasons since the Buss family took over.

As for the Kings, I'm glad that my prediction was right about Tyreke.  Again, Sacramento can't sign free agents so they must be drafted or traded for.  Tyreke is the standout Rookie of the Year and the team obviously plans to build around him, as seen by the immediate trade of Kevin Martin, who was easily the best player on the team before.  I guess they were not compatible together but I still have a hard time getting over the fact that we traded away a bonafide 20+ point a game scorer.  I know Carl Landry is a physical power forward that we needed but I have doubts that Francisco Garcia can take over even as a poor man's Kevin Martin.  So, I am still waiting to see what we plan to do with the cap space that the trade also afforded us.

But, in Geoff Petrie I trust.  Except, can we change our away unis from the awful purple getups back to black?

No comments:

Post a Comment