Took my dad to his first Lakers game last night. As I've said before, the Lakers sure know how to put on a show, even before the tip-off. What was memorable?
- Lamar Odom getting a standing O from the crowd when he was subbed in 1st quarter.
- Seeing Barnes and Kapono play again was a nice throwback to the days when I camped out for the right to stand in the courtside student section. I'm happy they've carved out nice careers for themselves, even if its for the hated Lakers. Barnes is a clear scrappy upgrade to Artest and I was shocked to see Kapono out there late 4th quarter.
- Vince Carter looks like a shell of his prime self. The Mavs have a lot of big name talent - Dirk, Kidd, Terry, Carter, Odom & Marion. Delonte West looks the most energetic, however. Clearly, they miss Chandler and JJ Barea though.
- Halftime auction: A Bynum signed ball auctioning for over $400. A Lamar Odom signed, game-worn Finals jersey auctioning for $1025. A Kobe and 4 other Lakers signed frame picture going for $2,025.
- The Lakers only having 46 points at the end of 3 quarters, scoring 7 in the 3rd. But, the Mavs only had 51.
- Kobe not making many shots until a few big ones in the 4th. Andrew Bynum was clearly the best player on the team on this night, though I think he could improve by not waiting so long to make his post moves. The offense becomes extremely stagnant.
- If I was the Mavs, I'd rather single-cover Kobe with Marion, instead of doubling him early and leaving Fisher with an open jumper.
- The Staples crowd was quiet all game (besides pleading Artest to pass) until Fisher's game-winner. The Lakers badly need a real point guard. The rookie can't hang yet and old man Fisher should only play in the last 7 minutes.