Sunday, November 4, 2012
UCLA demolishes UofA 66-10
With my lone complaint out of the way, it was the perfect game to be at in just about every way. Uncharacteristic of recent UCLA football teams, we devastated a #22 Arizona team who was coming off an upset of Southern Cal last week. And it seemed that nothing could go wrong for us.
- 9 touchdowns. WE SCORED NINE TOUCHDOWNS. We were up 14-0 just 3 1/2 minutes into the game. We had a 28-0 lead by early 2nd quarter before they finally managed a field goal. By half, it was 42-3 and the game was long over.
- Up 14-0, we drove for a 1st down at their 5 yard line, but nearly wasted it by retreating to the 17 yard line after a negative rushing play and two false starts. Next play, Hundley drops a perfect pass over a streaking Payton's shoulder for a TD.
- Even when we had to finally punt on the next drive (up 21-0), they immediately fumbled the punt return. Though we ended up 2nd and 18 at nearly midfield, Hundley found Jerry Johnson for 47 yards to setup a 1 yd TD rush.
- 2 min left in 1st half, the aptly named Goforth returned a punt for 36 yards to get us a short field. Then on 3rd and goal from the 1 yard line, we opt to throw a fade(!) for some strange reason .... but convert anyway. 42-3.
- Hundley completed 82% of his passes, going 23-28, 288 yards and 3 TDs. He threw to 11 different receivers, the leader being Fauria who had 5 catches for 81 yards and 2 TDs.
- We finished with 308 yards rushing - 5 RBs and Hundley contributing to the ground effort - to add to the 303 total passing yards. 611 offensive yards on the day.
- Arizona threw for 369 yards against Southern Cal last week but only 136 vs our defense.
The weather was absolutely perfect for a night game (a concern when you've got toddlers) - sweatshirt necessary, but not heavy jacket-gloves weather like last year's ASU freeze-fest. And the halftime show was perfect for its Veteran's Day military branches tribute - the boys could make out the jet, the boat and the tank - not to mention the enormous US flag that is commonplace in every NFL game, but rarely seen in college. A good time was had by all, except the 'Cats.